Saturday, September 12, 2009

You Ready To Run A 5K?


No, I'm actually not kidding. Yes, little ole YOU could easily run a 5K.

For those of you who are wondering, a 5K is 3.1 miles. And running one is not nearly as difficult as you might imagine. You can trust me on this, I'm one of YOU. A normal person.

Or at least I used to be.

Now, I am a runner. I suppose that makes me a bit loco in some people's minds. At this point in my life, I've run two full marathons and completed five 1/2 marathons. Last September I ran a 181 mile relay race from Cumberland, MD to Washington, D.C. I get up early on weekends to run with a gaggle of girlfriends. I truly prefer it over a night out on the town. Hmmm... I guess I am a bit crazy, come to think of it.

But to run a 5K you don't need to be anything like me or commit to a life-altering training plan. You just need to start. And you start with... A WALK.

I know, I know... you are probably thinking that you can't do it. "I could never even run a mile, let alone a 5K!" I can't tell you how many people have said that to me.

Give me a break. Just start simply. Start with a walk.

There is an old saying that goes something like this: "How do you eat an elephant?" A. One bite at a time.

Same thing goes for running a 5K. One STEP at a time. One BLOCK at a time. One MILE at a time.

So if you would like to one day conquer this thing called the 5K, then join me here and I will take you through the process.

Your first assignment: Set a goal then move your butt! Figure out when you would like to complete your first 5K. Be realistic. If you have never run before please don't try to run a 5K by next week. Shoot for something more realistic like "spring."

Then - get moving! Start by walking. Set a walking goal - around the block, 1 mile, 2 miles... a realistic goal. The key here is to take some action. Try to get out there at least 3x a week. Um, yeah... three times a week. Minimum.


Who the heck am I anyway? My name is Jennifer and I am the creator of Hip As I Wanna Be, a blog about one working mom (ME!) and her quest to successfully juggle life, marriage and the mania of male offspring while struggling to get her mojo back. (Whew! Quite a mouthful, huh?) If you must know, you can find out more about me here.

2 comments:

  1. What Jennifer DIDN'T tell you is that I.. YES ME... Dipaola Momma.. the queen Nugget have committed to RUNNING (not walking) a 5K with her. She sweetened the deal by suggeting we run in a charity 5K. TONS of great causes out there use charity runs to raise funds. SO when I think I can't run annother step, I'm too old, too fat, too tired I'll just stop and think about all the people who count on my donation to help them out and I'll keep running! If you choose to commit to a chairty 5K let us know. Jennifer will be posting about running, health, fitness, girlie stuff and her general awesomness as the co-author of this blog. WELCOME JENN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work.
    Send us pictures
    Dr. Sass
    Founder smart for life
    www.smartforlife.com

    ReplyDelete