Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Super and SLIM Suppers in a Slow Cooker!

I don't know about the weather over there, where you are, but here in Maryland we are fast approaching fall.. MY FAVORITE! I love to break out the crock pot and let the house slowly fill the with wonderful scent of a home cooked meal. I think it just feels more like home when you come in from a nippy day to the smell of lovin' from the oven!

But I don't want to let my affinity for a nice pot roast ruin the now TWENTY THREE pounds I've lost with a BIG hand from Smart For Life ! So I've scoured the web to find us some great and HEALTHY slow cooker suppers. I'm going to try and get a weekly one up but my other blog, Chicken Nuggets of Wisdom, is a demanding mistress! On a side note I HAVE been running daily or attending Yoga at the gym. I'll get those stats up soon. I hope you are all doing something FOR YOU every day. Even if it's just a nice cup of tea in a quite spot you are SO worth it! Lost some weight or found a bit of your mojo? Email me and you could write your own story here at Smart Girl (with linky love at my other blog as well). Now on to the nosh!

Chicken and Corn Chili

Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
  • 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with jalapenos, drained
  • 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
  • Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Directions

1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion, chicken, low-sodium broth, green pepper, jalapeno, 1-1/2 teaspoons of the cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.

2. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of the cumin and cayenne, and the tomatoes, corn and beans. Gently mash some of the beans against the side of the bowl to thicken the chili. Stir in the cornmeal and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let sit a few minutes to soften the cornmeal. Serve sprinkled with a little of the Monterey Jack cheese.

Nutrition Facts

Servings Per Recipe 6 servings


  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 287
  • Total Fat (g) 3
  • Saturated Fat (g) 1
  • Cholesterol (mg) 45
  • Sodium (mg) 736
  • Carbohydrate (g) 38
  • Fiber (g) 9
  • Protein (g) 27
(thanks to Parents on line for this lovely meal)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an awesome recipe. I always love chili with corn...crazy...but true. Thanks for the follow. I'm following you back. :)

    ReplyDelete